Investing in a plasma cutter is a weighty decision for any metalworking shop. Likewise, selecting the right size of plasma cutter is paramount if you want to ensure optimal performance and cost-efficiency.
If you’re in the market for an advanced plasma cutting system and want to be certain that you choose the ideal option for your needs, this step-by-step process will help guide you:
Assess Your Cutting Needs
Start by evaluating the type and thickness of materials you typically work with and consider the maximum thickness you anticipate cutting in the future. Also, identify the frequency of use and the volume of cutting tasks in your shop.
Determine Your Amperage Requirement
You’ll want to choose a plasma cutter with an amperage rating suitable for the thickness of the materials you work with. Higher amperage ratings are suitable for thicker materials, delivering faster and more efficient cuts.
Consider the Duty Cycle
Next, you should evaluate the duty cycle of the plasma cutter, indicating the time the machine can operate within a 10-minute period. Your ideal choice is a plasma cutter with a duty cycle that aligns with the intensity and duration of your cutting tasks.
Evaluate Portability & Size
Assess the available space in your shop and determine if you need a portable or stationary plasma cutter. Portable options are ideal for workshops with limited space or those requiring on-site cutting.
Factor in Power Supply
Ensure your shop has the appropriate power supply to accommodate the voltage and amperage requirements of the plasma cutter.
Establish a budget for your plasma cutter, keeping in mind additional costs for consumables, maintenance, and accessories. Your choice of plasma cutter should offer the best value for your budget, considering long-term operational costs.
How CNC Plasma Cutting Systems Work
CNC plasma cutting systems utilize computer numerical control (CNC) to guide the cutting process. The CNC software precisely controls the movement of the plasma torch, dictating the cutting path based on the design input. The plasma torch emits a high-velocity stream of ionized gas (plasma) that melts and cuts through metal, creating precise and intricate cuts.
The many benefits of CNC plasma cutting systems include:
- Precision and accuracy – CNC systems ensure precise, intricate cuts, reproducing designs with remarkable accuracy.
- Automated operation – Automation reduces the possibility of errors, delivering consistent results and improving efficiency.
- Versatility – CNC plasma cutting systems can handle a wide range of materials and thicknesses, making them versatile for various applications.
- Material optimization – Precise cutting minimizes material wastage, optimizing material usage and reducing costs.
- Increased productivity – Automated processes result in faster cutting speeds and increased productivity, enhancing workflow efficiency.
- Cost-effectiveness – Despite the initial investment, CNC plasma cutting systems offer long-term cost savings through reduced material wastage and enhanced productivity.
Leave It to the Experts
If you’re in the market for a CNC plasma cutting system that will elevate your shop’s capabilities, look to Machitech. Our experienced engineers will remove the guesswork from the process by evaluating your shop’s needs and space requirements and providing a custom-manufactured CNC plasma cutting machine that exceeds expectations.
Contact Machitech today to schedule a no-obligation consultation with our team.